Monday, January 19, 2009

Parenting

Lately I had noticed myself getting frustrated with Elijah easily, but wasn't really sure why. I quickly realized how much I was used to the baby stage. Since Elijah has been a great baby, I was so used to just having to nurture him and provide for his needs, that when he began to push even his little baby boundaries, it was so exhausting and pushed my buttons!
As we walk into this next stage of his life, I realized that it wasn't until now that I feel like I'm actually "parenting" my son. As I pray for the Lord to work in Elijah's life, I'm reminded that right now it is our responsibility to prepare him for life, and although it began at birth, it is now when I need to remember a big reason why children need parents. I still get to enjoy all the things I have for the past nine months. I still get endless hugs and kisses, to hold a sweet sleeping baby, to play with him, laugh with him, feed and care for him, but now I also need to set boundaries for him that will teach him the things he needs in order to get along with others, to be respectable and enjoyable to others!
It takes so much strength and commitment as a parent. For me, it has meant putting Elijah in bed awake, and allowing him to fall asleep without my help. It means teaching him not to destroy all the kitchen cupboards. Joel and I decided not to baby proof our house, but instead teach him not to touch the things he shouldn't. It's hard to be consistent, and we know it will get harder, but we want our children to respect our home so they will also respect others homes when they are guests.
Joel and I both desire to have children who love the Lord, but we also want them to love and respect others. They need to know that whining and complaining won't get them anywhere. I'm sure all you veteran parents are thinking "easier said than done!" and we know that, but I respect very much how I was raised. My parents weren't afraid to be the "bad guys." I think there's a lot of fear parents have for becoming the "bad guys." Even today the Lord reminded me that my job isn't to be my child's best friend. I have made Elijah cry a lot this week when I tell him "no sir!" or make him soothe himself to sleep, but it only took a handful of screaming nights for him to fall asleep without my help, and my little dude is still as happy and as loving towards us as he before.
Parenting is such a journey, and ours has only just begun. I'm glad the Lord gives them to us as babies! Ever since I have made the realization that I need to set boundaries and discipline in order for him to learn and grow, it has been a lot easier. I know that listening to him scream at night and nap time is only a phase, and will be thankful later on. Remind me of this when he's 2 and again in his teens. ha.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is great to hear! You are right there are so many parents "afraid" to be in charge. I had to laugh at your "no sir" statement (I remember you chuckling at us). Praying God will bless you and Joel with wisdom for all stages of his life!