Friday, July 22, 2011

U2

Joel and I went to hear U2 in concert last week as a gift for Joel's birthday. We were really excited, because they are probably one of our all time favorite groups. Joel had never been to a big concert before, and to be honest, I wasn't quite sure he'd enjoy it, since crowds are just not his thing :)

But, we were absolutely blown away by the show! Not only for the incredible music, cinematography and the show in general, but the messages they brought to such a large group of people.

They stand for such great causes. They brought awareness to the persecution of the Burmese people in their own country. We have had contact with many Burmese people in Lancaster City, so it was encouraging to hear someone with such a stage and a voice in the world bring awareness to such an unjust political battle.

A friend who had seen the show a few weeks before us, said "clearly we were made to worship," after seeing it, and she was right. It was amazing. Bono (the lead singer) is an amazing man who loves Jesus and wants to see change in this world. I have been watching and reading a few interviews with him as I stumble upon them. He has such a great heart and is seeking after Jesus and the things He has a heart for (I posted this interview a while back).

One of the songs they sang was a song called, "Magnificent." We hadn't heard it before, but check out these lyrics and watch the video. It was incredible to be worshiping in a stadium with 90,000 people. Beautiful!

If you ever have a chance to hear U2 in concert, we recommend it. I'm hoping it won't be our only chance! It was worth every penny we spent on it!

Check out the song and lyrics, but also the interview at the bottom. I was challenged by it this morning.


Lyrics:
Magnificent
Oh, oh, magnificent

I was born, I was born
To be with you in this space and time
After that and ever after
I haven't had a clue only to break rhyme
This foolishness can leave a heart black and blue, oh, oh

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love can heal such a scar

I was born, I was born to sing for you
I didn't have a choice but to lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back my voice from the womb
My first cry, it was a joyful noise, oh, oh

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love can heal such a scar
Justified, till we die you and I will magnify, oh, oh
Magnificent, magnificent, oh, oh

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love unites our hearts
Justified, till we die you and I will magnify, oh, oh
Magnificent, magnificent, magnificent


No comments: