Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Freezer

Our tenants warned us not to open the freezer in the basement. Apparently it has been turned off for a very long time...and filled with food. We opened it once, but shut it so fast we didn't really see what was inside. From the smell of it, you would think there was a body in there, which doesn't help my fear of the basement. We knew we needed to get it out of our basement, but were unsure of what to do with it-since it is full of rotten food. Joel's dad said we could bury it in the backyard, meaning the contents of the nasty freezer, but it would mean taking it for a long car ride. So, a friend from Joel's work, Rodney, volunteered to help Joel clean it out. I'm not really sure WHY someone would volunteer to do this...I stayed far away and acted "busy." They chose to do this fun task in the backyard. Our yard is only 10x10, so I'm pretty sure I stepped in some of the mess when I went to the jeep out back. But, anyway, they hand picked all the rotten food out, not really sure what any of it was, until they got to the chicken. I could puke just thinking about it. Joel has a strong stomach, and he said even holding his breath he could still smell it. The stench was so strong he almost lost it. Gross. That's the funny thing about buying a house in the city, especially in the community we live in. You never know what you will find.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is such a funny story. I am glad you had two workers. hehe